Thursday, December 18, 2008

aluminum starch octenylsuccinate?!?!?!

I ran out of my usual Body Shop moisturizer so I went searching through my closet in a drawer where I keep cosmetic odds and ends. I figured that not having my usual product would force me to use up some older stuff before they get so raunchy that they grow legs and crawls away. I found a small sample tube of Olay body lotion that looked like it would do the trick. It's called "quench therapy". For some reason I looked at the back and noticed the ingredients list was incredibly long. I also noticed there were only about 3 words I could recognize as English. Then the word, "aluminum" caught my eye and that's when I decided NOT to use this product or even give it away for someone else to use. I looked the ingredient up called "aluminum starch octenylsuccinate" and found what I expected... bad news.

http://www.ewg.org/chemindex/chemicals/24922

I can't believe Olay would make something containing something even remotely harmful that women, including pregnant ones, rub into their skin and absorb. I'm thoroughly disturbed by my discovery but also grateful. This experience has made me a bit more thoughtful. I will definitely be on the lookout for something a little more natural for my next purchase.

No comments: