Friday, June 20, 2008

Best Banana Bread

Earlier this month was my husband's birthday. We don't really celebrate birthdays (that's a story for a whole other blog post) but I wanted to make him a cake. He requested banana bread since he's not such a sweet tooth like me. I'm such a sweet tooth that I have a rare condition where every single one of my teeth are sweet, even the molars. Back to the cake... I found a recipe online on a website that both my husband and I frequent for most of our recipes called AllRecipes.com. The funniest part of this website are the reviews. Very often, someone will say, "this is a great chili recipe! The only thing I changed is instead of using Kidney beans, I used Romano beans and I also used half the brown sugar and added a 1/2 cup of dark beer, 1 teaspoon of cinnomon and instead of beef I used brussel sprouts."
So, after you read the recipe posted on the site, it's a good idea to glance at the reviews to see if there's a popular suggestion regarding a better cooking time/temperature or if most people thought it could use a bit less flour/sugar. The following recipe for the very best banana bread is my revised version so it's just perfect. Best of all, if you have ripe bananas that you're about to throw out you can pretty much find the rest of the ingredients in your cupboard. It couldn't be easier - just the kind of baking I like.

The Very Best Banana Bread

INGREDIENTS
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups ripe mashed banana
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
DIRECTIONS
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour one 9x5 inch pan.
  2. Cream butter and sugars until smooth. Add cinnamon and vanilla. Beat in eggs, then bananas. Add flour and soda, stirring just until combined.
  3. Pour into prepared pan and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for about 1 hour (or till toothpick comes out clean).
My husband couldn't stop raving about this bread. He would put walnuts in it next time. I would put chocolate chips.
Enjoy!!

No comments: