Thursday, June 19, 2008

Roz Savage and the Pacific

The last post regarding podcasts makes me want to mention Roz Savage (www.rozsavage.com). Roz is a woman that is literally rowing across the Pacific right now... I mean, RIGHT NOW. Think about it. A woman in a row boat with no land in sight between the California coast and Hawaii. Roz writes in a blog almost every day and I have been keeping up with her since she left the Golden Gate bridge. I also listen to her podcast updates on "Roz Rows the Pacific". I find out whether the gale force winds on the ocean have died down enough for her to get back out on the deck to row. I look at her progress going south west to see whether she has actually been drifting backwards. I check to see whether her water-maker has started to work again after the electronic components were flooded with sea water. The amazing thing is that it feels like she's been out there for so long yet she still has more than 2 months more to go. I really admire her discipline, determination and drive. To me, her trip across the ocean in a row boat would be a very effective form of torture. It would be a matter of survival rather than adventure. I don't know if I would be more scared of the dark deep ocean tossing me around like a rubber ducky or being completely alone for that many hours, days and nights. Or, maybe I just can't handle the thought of not having icecream for such a long stretch of time.
Go Roz!

No comments: