Thursday, January 15, 2009

Debbie in Toronto -> Debbie in LosAngeles

Debbie in Los Angeles wears her sunglasses a lot more. It's literally been some of the coldest days in Toronto this week (-16C = 3F) and I walked around all day here in a white tank and flip flops. Ok, I was accessorized L.A. style with a strategic scarf, designer jeans and large funky ring so don't go thinking I'm a big shlumpadinka with "tourist" across my forehead. (I just got a visual that I had to clear up for you) :)

I'd like to use this blog as a supplement to my insufficient memory, so I will track Husband and I's trip with a daily wrap-up on where I went and did, possibly ending with a meaningful quote from either my 5 or 2 year old nephew.


Sunday, Jan 11: Departure Day
- Went to the office one last time before escaping.
- Drove to Park&Fly and shared a Twix with Husband while waiting for the shuttle to take us to the terminal. (Yes, chocolate bars are important enough to make it into my journal)
- Did a self check-in with American Airlines only to find that we had to pay $16 per check-in bag!!! 2 bags = 32 big ones. That gets added to: $404 airfare plus $111 taxes per person = $515 x 2 tickets = $1030 on our Visa
- Left perfectly on time and arrived perfectly on time.
- Went to pick up our rental car from Avis. The first they gave us was a Pontiac G6. It was nice but our gps mount was not compatible with the air vent panel thingies so we got the Dodge Caliber. Our gps works in this one but what a terrible car! No wonder American car companies are going down the tubes! I can't imagine anyone taking this car for a spin and saying, "now this car makes me feel like a king!"
- Drove to my sister's house in West Hollywood, jumped around with excitement to see not only my sister and brother-in-law that live here but also my other sister visiting from New York.
- ate leftovers, went to sleep.

Monday, Jan 12
- the Grove for bagels and coffee from Coffee Bean
- went to Trader Joe's to pick up groceries for Husband to cook his delicious shrimp pasta. It was too busy so we went across the street to Ralph's. A lemon in Toronto is 25 cents. At Ralph's in West Hollywood it's $1.49. Husband went to the cash register and bent over.
- finally saw 5yr old nephew "O" after school and got a big hug
- ate delicious meal

Tuesday, Jan 13
- slept in and went to Coffee Bean for bagels and coffee
- was joined by both sisters and just as we settled into a nice seat outside, a nice gentleman off his meds tried breaking the front glass of the store with the table he was sitting at. The L.A.P.D. took unnervingly long to get there and eventually took care of the situation.
- we sat there for a long while chatting and enjoying each others company
- shopped on Rodeo but didn't find anything buy-worthy. Gave up on clothes and went into a bunch of furniture/decor stores including Fendi, Kartell and White Orchid.
- babysitter arrived and we all went out to a hot restaurant named "Mark's" for dinner. Turned out that it is a tres gay spot and that night was particularly busy because it was a "gay mixer". Had a great meal and great time - lots of laughs. Husband told stories of his rebellious youth that thoroughly entertained us.
- visited the condo my L.A. sister is moving into this week with her family. Actually, the main reason we're here at this particular time is to help with the move.
- had a long heart-to-heart convo with N.Y. sister till the wee hours

Wednesday, Jan 14
- Husband went to a business meeting in Burbank
- hung out with N.Y. sister till we were joined by L.A. sister and went to Terroni for lunch (a Torontonian restaurant with a new location right in my sister's neighbourhood - cool huh? Doing very well, by the way) . Husband joined us and when he sat down he announced that he was ready to move here. It hit him while he was driving with the windows down and the sun in his face that it was JANUARY.
- picked up little nephew "C" and went for milkshakes at Millions of Milkshakes
- sang the boys to bed
- took N.Y. sister to the airport :( boooooo
- ordered take-out sushi, stuffed ourselves and went to shluf (sleep)

Thursday, Jan 15
- The usual... long stroll to the Grove to get toasted Jalapeno Cheddar bagels and coffee. The girl now knows us and says she will save our favorite bagels for when we come back tomorrow.
- L.A. sister received a lewd and totally hilarious gesture from a man on the street. It can be interpreted as his appreciation for her voluptuous boobs. lol
- walked back home and stopped for a 7-11 slushy on the way
- Drove through the hills. Saw an incredible view and took a picture. I'll upload it from my camera when I get back.
- visited my brother-in-law's plastic surgery office and got a couple not-so-beautiful beauty marks lopped off. Two on me and two on Husband. We feel much lighter now.
- Trader Joe's for groceries to make chicken and shrimp fried rice. I must say, grocery stores are so much more beautiful and well maintained here than at home. I also love the idea of eating fruits all year round that don't have to travel half way around the earth to get to your table.
- Husband cooked up some dinner while L.A. sister and I sang the boys to bed.
- ate, watched tv, worked on laptop... GOODNIGHT!

"I'm older than my brother which means I'm going to get freckles first. I mean, wrinkles."
- Nephew "O"

No comments: